Monday, January 26, 2009

What I Think: Obama Working Too Much From Home


What I Think! is a Kenneth Albright bi-weekly editorial. Albright is Senior Funion Politico and Television Watcher.

As some of you may or may not know, this Barack Obama has been under a lot of scrutiny lately. Oh, for at least a month or so, maybe more. I've seen it myself: on CNN, FOX News, Des Moines' own News Chat with Ricky--night after night panelists, newspapermen, District 203 teachers all come on and discuss everything about the man-sized man, from his economic stimulus package to just his package, straight and simple. It drives me absolutely bonkers. Eight hours a day of Wolf Blitzer, John King, Lou Dobbs, King Blitzer, Ricky Richards can be exhausting. What did Barack eat for breakfast? Is he getting enough vitamins? Will he close Gitmo today or tomorrow? Bonkers! If I had senior journalists looking over my shoulder at the East Iowa Recycling Center like that I'd be in trouble, boy, let me tell you! No three lunches a day for me! Ho, ho! But I have to admit: something has been troubling me. I've got subscriptions to the Des Moines Star, the Des Moines Shield, The 'Moiner, the East Iowa Review of Words--all the biggies. Not a single one has mentioned this problem. Nobody else has seemed to notice: Just how lazy is Barack Obama exactly? And why is he working so much from home? 

I realize it is some sort of American political tradition for US presidents to live in this, "White House." Apparently, US presidents have been living there with their broods for something like 300 years or so. You see, it was built in 1603 by Dutch-Indian settlers who wanted a gentleman's club on the Potottototomac River. They disappeared, for a reason lost hundreds of years ago, and left us the house as a gift. My son, Robert, also told me they have spaceships underneath in case things get hairy here on the surface of the planet. And that 400 pastry chefs live in the basement. Smart thinking. I have a little confession: I always thought when you got elected president you just had to paint your house white, hence the aforementioned "white house" I told you about. Boy was I wrong. I guess this thing is HUGE! right smack dab in the middle of the capital. Geez, what will they think of next? 

Anyways, here's something you probably didn't know. Barack Obama has, in the THREE days he's been in office, built a thing called an "Oval Office." A home office, basically, right in the middle of this house! Try to picture it! The first president in US history to actually build his very own home office. I tried to clear out the garage last summer to make a little office for myself and I never got it done. The whole summer it took me, and I failed. It took this guy three days! And he succeeded! Don't get me wrong: I think home offices are great. A fine idea. But should the "leader of the free world" be working out of his home? I think it looks tacky. A little cheap, if you ask me. I talked to Charlotte Robins next door. She agreed with me. Just a little, you  know, unrefined. I mean, how are political leaders from around the world going to take it when they see a US president in sweat-pants and a v-neck signing bills from his own him. Geez! 

And know one is on his back about it, either! Last month I took three days off to "work from home" and I was getting calls everyday: "Ken, when you comin' back?" "Harumph! When you comin' back, buddy?" "Get your ass back here or your fired, asshole!" Stuff like that. It might be a good idea of somebody politely told Mr. Obama that this home office idea is not a good idea. He might get fired if they don't. But that's just what I think!

No comments: